The 11th Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministerial Meeting will be held from 7-8 September 2016 in Apia, hosted by the Government of Samoa on the theme of ‘Gender equality through sustainable development in an inclusive commonwealth’.
WAMM has been held triennially since 1985 and provides the opportunity for ministers, senior officials, civil society, private sector and partner agencies to discuss critical issues in advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment.
It also contributes to the setting of Commonwealth priorities and the global agenda for sustainable and inclusive development. The 10th WAMM was held in Bangladesh in 2013. View outcomes from 10WAMM here
- To inform on proposed Commonwealth priorities on gender equality and women’s rights in the period of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- To discuss emerging issues and increasingly critical development issues on gender equality, women’s empowerment and development to promote inclusive development and democracy.
- To reposition the Commonwealth and its commitments to gender equality and women’s rights.
- Gender and Climate Change
- Women’s Leadership
- Violence Against Women and Girls
- Intergenerational Partnerships for Sustainable Development
In the interests of the environment this will be a paper free meeting. All meeting papers will be distributed via the 11WAMM workspace on Commonwealth Connects and delegates are encouraged to access and download these prior to their attendance.
Two side event meetings will be held to share Commonwealth work to facilitate dialogue between key stakeholders including government, civil society and the private sector:
- Sustainable development through women as leaders and women as entrepreneurs
- Strengthening jurisprudence of equality on violence against women and girls
Date: Monday 5 September 2016
Venue: Government Convention Centre, TATTE Building, Beach Road, Apia
Participation in these side events is encouraged from Commonwealth youth and civil society organisations. For further details and how to register, please email email@example.com
Senior Officials Meeting
Date: Tuesday 6 September 2016
Venue: Taumeasina Island Hotel, Taumeasina Island, Beach Road, Apia